Ability to generate PERMANENT direct URL (without auto-login) to invoices

Xavier Frenette

31 Dec, 2013 06:58 PM

Hi,

tldr : I would like PERMANENT direct URL to invoices (but without auto-login) to give to clients instead of links that expire after 2 weeks.

First, happy new year ! I have multiple clients and for many of them, I only have 1 or 2 projects per year.

I like the fact that I can send them an email with a direct link to an invoice. I prefer it to the attached PDF because I can know when they viewed the invoice and the total is always up to date with their payments.

But, I have a problem with the direct link to the invoice being valid only for 2 weeks, because :
1) I send them the email with the invoice direct link, but they frequently pay me after 3-4 weeks. So when they click the link to view the invoice, it is expired.
2) Even if they later received reminder emails with updated direct link, it is generally only the first email that is passed to the accounting department.
3) Since I don't work often with many clients, they always forget their username and password to the Cashboard client area. So a majority of them don't use it, and since they complain that the direct link is valid for only 2 weeks, they ask for an attached PDF.
4) The current direct link performs 2 actions (auto-login and redirect to the invoice), but I don't need the auto-login, I just want to show the invoice (and the "Pay now" button).

I know that you may find that there is a security risk with a permanent auto-login link. So I want to clarify what I'm suggesting: I don't want a permament link that auto-logins the client and shows him the invoice, I want a link that ONLY shows the invoice, without auto-login. The best would be to have both : an auto-login link that expires after 2 weeks, and the possibility to create a permanent direct link to the invoice that does NOT auto-login.

Finally, I would also like to be able to have access to the direct link to an invoice without sending the email. I'm using a lot Google Drive Documents and being able to generate direct link to a document is really useful to me. I would also like that in Cashboard.

Thank you,

Xavier Frenette

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Seth B on 31 Dec, 2013 10:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback Xavier.

If you'd like to remove the 'auto login' feature from your invoice emails, use the following code:

{{ invoice | get_email_link_for: contact, false }}

This will generate the link, but not apply the 'auto login' bit to it. Unfortunately you have to login to view an invoice, and I'm not sure this will be changing anytime soon.

I understand that you want sort of a "public permalink" that anyone on the internet can access, but unfortunately we don't offer that capability right now.

Best,

— Seth

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac