Tax Rates on Invoices

Jayme Cousins

10 Oct, 2013 06:29 PM

Hi there. We have clients in different provinces and countries which requires that we change the taxes to be collected for each client. However, the current invoice page does not store the tax rate relative to each client so I've often accidentally sent out invoices with the wrong (or no) taxes calculated on them.

Would like to suggest a change where the base tax rate(s) are connected to each client/company so that a change to one invoice tax rate does not have a knock-on effect on the following ones.

Thanks for your ongoing efforts to make this a truly great system.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Seth B on 10 Oct, 2013 07:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Jayme.

2. 2 Posted by Darrell Tetar on 11 Oct, 2013 04:51 AM

I just signed up with my company for your trial although I wanted to pay right off the bat. The comment above is something I noticed right away. In Canada we have 2 taxes GST (Goods and sales tax) PST (provincial sales tax) I may be wrong but I see nowhere to input the "name of your tax, just either have one or put 2 together, I see nowhere I can name them which will cause me to use another product? thanks.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Seth B on 11 Oct, 2013 05:35 AM

Hi Darrell, thanks for checking out Cashboard.

While we don't allow you to "name" your taxes, you can certainly use the "Tax 1" and "Tax 2" boxes for your own purposes. For instance, if you want just put your GST into "Tax 1" and PST into "Tax 2".

Then, you can edit your invoice template to change the string "Tax 1" to GST, and "Tax 2" to PST.

I can even have someone do that for you if you have a difficult time.

Best,

• Seth
  4. 4 Posted by Jayme Cousins on 11 Oct, 2013 02:12 PM

Interestingly, I'm also in Canada. Our province uses a single unified version of the above called HST. However, we deal with other provinces with systems such as Darrell describes, or offshore clients who pay no tax.

Therefore, we've opted not to customize the tax wording in the template as that would be hard-coded to the language of only a certain group of clients - and entirely wrong for the rest. Naming the taxes, and storing their rates, per user would hopefully allow us to use an invoice template variable so that our clients could clearly see which tax they are paying.

5. 5 Posted by Darrell Tetar on 11 Oct, 2013 11:32 PM

Hi Seth,

If you would not mind changing the tax for me that would be great as I have already given my payment to go with Cashboard for a year, I want it to work. I have tried out others like Freshbooks and much cheaper ones that all allow you to make a simple change, not a change with a DOS like program, I was a bit shocked at that. Any help will be appreciated.

6. 6 Posted by Darrell Tetar on 12 Oct, 2013 12:41 AM

This comment was split into a new private discussion: Invoice customization for Darrell

Harmonized sales tax was changed to a 5% and 7% GST and PST

See you at the garage!

Regards,

Darrell and the crew!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac