How to generate an invoice with all detail included

Kristin Speaker, Ph.D.

01 Oct, 2013 10:47 PM

I just generated my first invoice and it's only including the project title vs. the details regarding what was done on what day for that project. When I select the "edit" button within the invoice, all of the details are shown after the checked boxed but they're not displayed on the actual invoice; I need these details to be shown! How do I create this sort of an invoice? I have a freelance account.

Thank you!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Seth B on 01 Oct, 2013 11:23 PM

Hi Kristin,

There's a setting under "Advanced Options" called "Show detailed time entries" that you didn't have enabled. Enabling this setting will show each individual time entry logged and included in your invoice. There's a similar setting for expenses, which does the same thing.

I've enabled both for that invoice and attached a screenshot of what the settings look like.

We use "smart defaults" for invoices, so the next invoice you generate should pick up these preferences and you won't have to manually set it for each one.

Hope that helps.

• s
  2. 2 Posted by Kristin Speaker... on 01 Oct, 2013 11:32 PM

It does, thank you. I decided to insert code in the template and that seemed to work as well.

Thanks!

Kristin J. Speaker, Ph.D.

434 Antero St.

Golden CO, 80401

(303) 408-0199

<mailto:[email blocked]> [email blocked]

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Seth B on 01 Oct, 2013 11:40 PM

Kristin,

The code that you inserted is actually doing nothing at all :)

{% include 'note' for item %} is what you added...

What that's doing is looking for a template called 'note', but that doesn't exist in the system. The only change that affected the display of your invoice is the fact that I went into your account and enabled the settings that I mentioned previously.

Hope that clarifies things.

• Seth
  4. Seth B closed this discussion on 01 Oct, 2013 11:40 PM.

5. Kristin Speaker, Ph.D. re-opened this discussion on 02 Oct, 2013 12:13 AM

6. 4 Posted by Kristin Speaker... on 02 Oct, 2013 12:13 AM

Yes it does! Ironic that it happened immediately after I inserted that code. Is there a particular code I could’ve written that would have worked?

Either way, an invoice + notes was generated which is what I needed.

Thank you for your prompt help!

Kristin J. Speaker, Ph.D.

434 Antero St.

Golden CO, 80401

(303) 408-0199

<mailto:[email blocked]> [email blocked]

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Seth B on 02 Oct, 2013 12:27 AM

Is there a particular code I could’ve written that would have worked?

No.

There's already code in the templates that "switches on" when you use those preferences I keep talking about ;)

It's a very common request, which is why I designed it that way. There's no reason people should have to edit the templates for such a simple (and common) need.

Best,

• s

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac