Accepting an estimate

Emil Friend

03 Sep, 2013 05:19 AM

Does the client accepting the terms of the estimate constitute a digital signature and approval of the work, or do I still need to issue a separate work order and get a real signature?

Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Seth B on 03 Sep, 2013 09:04 AM

Hi Emil, I'm no lawyer so I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer that question.

If you feel that you need a signature I'd advise having your customer print a copy of the PDF, then signing / returning that to you via mail or scanned document.

2. 2 Posted by Emil Friend on 03 Sep, 2013 04:28 PM

Ok. I guess, then, I'm still unclear about the intended business function
    of the estimate agreement. The documentation for that topic describes the
    steps to use it but not what it actually means. Is a client agreeing to the
    entire estimate or just to its terms?

Emil Friend
    I Love Your Garden
    www.510landscape.com
    EPA WaterSense PARTNER

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Seth B on 03 Sep, 2013 05:06 PM

Emil,

Clients indicating agreement via software has been shown to be legally binding:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/electronic-signatures-online-contracts-29495.html

However, I've not heard of anyone taking someone to court over a breached Cashboard agreement during the 7 years we've been in business. As stated previously, I'm a software designer, not a lawyer.

Back when I was running Subimage LLC as a consulting business I used terms similar to: "...by continuing with this project the client (Client Name) agrees to all costs and times within."

A lot of companies will also take a deposit up front, which is smart business practice for larger projects.

If you need further advice on the subject I'd suggest talking to your lawyer, and perhaps even have them draft some terms in legalese, if that would ease your mind.

Hope that was helpful,

- Seth

4. 4 Posted by Emil Friend on 03 Sep, 2013 05:09 PM

cool thank you

Emil Friend
    I Love Your Garden
    www.510landscape.com
    EPA WaterSense PARTNER

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac