Two taxes - varies per item

Chad Anderson

02 Apr, 2013 06:11 AM

Hi, Seth:

Here in British Columbia, Canada, we're switching back to a two sales tax environment - 5% federal GST that applies to almost everything I invoice, and a %7 PST that only applies to a small number of items we sell.

At the top of the list, we can specify two sales taxes, but beside each item in the list, there seems to be only 1 checkbox to indicate that an item is "taxable or not."

In our case, some items may be GST 5% taxable, while some others will be 5% GST AND 7% PST taxable. Is there a way to provide for two checkboxes beside each item "Tax 1" and "Tax 2"? Or can you suggest a workaround besides the obvious one, which is to create separate line items in the invoice, and not use the tax field in Cashboard at all, which would not be ideal, of course.

Apologies for our very dumb taxation system.

Chad

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Lacy J on 02 Apr, 2013 08:54 PM

Hey Chad,

When does the new tax law go into effect?

Our developers are currently coming up with a solution for the issue. At this time, we don't have any clever workarounds.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Don't ya just love taxes?! ;-)

2. 2 Posted by Chad Anderson on 02 Apr, 2013 09:03 PM

It actually went into effect Apr. 1. (Sorry for the lack of notice from this user!) Most of my invoicing will take place at the end of the month.

Thanks for investigating.

3. 3 Posted by Chad Anderson on 16 Jul, 2013 07:14 AM

Any news on this?

While I make no defense for the dumb-as-a-sack-of-hammers tax system we've returned to here, it does seem strange to me that your invoice template includes Tax 1 and Tax 2, but only an unspecific "Taxable" checkbox beside each item on the invoice. All I need is a checkbox for Tax 1 and a checkbox for Tax 2, for each line item.

It's likely that if this is not provided, we'll have to switch to another service, which I really don't want to do.

Thanks.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Seth B on 16 Jul, 2013 07:52 AM

Chad, sorry no news on this. Other things have taken priority.

I'll give it a look when I can. Hopefully sometime before the end of the month. So far, you're the only one whose mentioned this as a feature request.

The taxable boxes are setup to handle compound taxes for other countries as I understood them when implementing the system.

Changing the design just isn't as simple as "adding another checkbox". There's more to it than that.

Thanks for your patience.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac