Entering invoices I sent to clients using other systems

Melissa Rowley

02 Dec, 2013 08:33 PM

I am switching from Aynax to Cashboard to track my time and send invoices, and I would like to know if there is a way to enter the amounts of the invoices I've sent using Aynax, into Cashboard, so I have all of my 2013 invoice information in one place. Any ideas??

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Seth B on 02 Dec, 2013 09:05 PM

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your business! We really appreciate it. If your current invoicing solution can export a CSV file, we can probably import it.

Our documentation on importing CSV files is here: http://help.cashboardapp.com/kb/misc/csv-data-import

CSV file stands for comma separated value, and it's a file most spreadsheet programs can deal with — like Microsoft Excel, Google Spreadsheet, etc. A lot of systems can export data in the format too, which is why we import it.

Let me know if you've got any questions or run into trouble.

2. 2 Posted by Melissa Rowley on 03 Dec, 2013 12:48 AM

Thanks Seth, appreciate the quick response. I figured out that I could just manually record the 6 invoices I'd already sent using different software by creating a Payment.

Another question - will any expenses I enter as the month go by, and attribute to a specific client/project, get automatically added to the invoice I generate for that client at the end of the month?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Seth B on 03 Dec, 2013 02:57 AM

I figured out that I could just manually record the 6 invoices I'd already sent using different software by creating a Payment.

My apologies for the initial response — I assumed that you were importing hundreds of Invoices. If it is only 6, yes creating them from inside the software (Create > Invoice) is the best way to go.

Just a little overview about how Invoices / Payments work inside Cashboard…

• To mark an Invoice paid, it must have a matching Payment applied. You can do this from the Invoice itself, or when editing a Payment.
    • When you have un-applied Payments (like what you have now), the system will see those as Credits, to be applied to future Invoices for that Client.

You might want to go in and create matching Invoices for the Payments you’ve created — otherwise you’re in for a surprise later down the road.

Another question - will any expenses I enter as the month go by, and attribute to a specific client/project, get automatically added to the invoice I generate for that client at the end of the month?

Yes…

1. If you create an Invoice for a Project (from the home page Projects to Invoice section, or from the Project page itself), yes all of those items will be imported.
    2. If you create the Invoice manually, (Create > Invoice) then Cashboard will give you the option to import time/expenses for all projects that belong to that Client.
    3. If you use our Scheduled Invoice feature, you can set that up to import all time/expenses automatically.

Since we have a variety of customers who use Cashboard in different ways we try to make smart hunches about how importing those items should behave.

Some people create an invoice-per-project, while others invoice for multiple projects per client. Cashboard is designed to work both ways.

If you’ve got further questions, or if I can help any further please let me know!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac