Sub contractor expenses

Dave Whittaker

01 Nov, 2013 07:24 PM

I've been playing around with the ability to accept time entries from sub contractors and so far it's pretty great. Cashboard is the only system I've seen so far that is flexible enough to express our workflow. One thing I haven't been able to figure out though is how to track the reimbursement of expenses incurred by subcontractors. For instance, say I have a sub contractor who takes a flight to visit a client, and the ticket costs them $500. I can add the $500 as an expense that is associated with the project and as long as it is marked billable the $500 will be included on the next invoice I generate to the client. What I can't figure out is how to record the expense so that the payroll report reflects the fact that I need to pay the subcontractor for the the ticket. Am I missing something?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Seth B on 01 Nov, 2013 08:50 PM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. Sadly, reimbursement of expenses isn't within our feature set currently.

I think you're probably the first to ask for something like this, but I'll keep it in mind when improving the Payroll report in the future.

2. 2 Posted by Dave Whittaker on 01 Nov, 2013 09:01 PM

Hmm.. is there any way I could work around it? Is there a way to add any type of item to a project that has an accompanying pay-rate for a subcontractor but isn't tied to hours? My project's are set up to bill by employee rate rather than task rate, which I think may make it even more complicated.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Seth B on 01 Nov, 2013 09:04 PM

The Payroll tool only takes billable, invoiced hours and creates expenses for you based on the hours someone's worked within a time frame.

The best workaround here I can see would be using the expense notes field to indicate if you've reimbursed an employee expense or not.

4. 4 Posted by Dave Whittaker on 01 Nov, 2013 09:05 PM

Ok, I can live with that for now. Thanks for the help.

5. Dave Whittaker closed this discussion on 01 Nov, 2013 09:06 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac