Creating Refunds

Graeme Kennedy

30 Dec, 2013 09:15 PM

Im looking to account for a refund in Cashboard. Our client paid deposit invoices over several months and we ended up not doing a portion of the work and paying them a refund. However, we need this reflected in Cashboard, as it currently says that the client has a credit balance. We can't remove payments, because those payments were not evenly split between tasks and invoices. We need a way to say we issued the client a refund and get their balance to zero.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Seth B on 30 Dec, 2013 11:51 PM

Graeme (and Arielle) — no need to double-team us with the refund requests... Let's discuss it here.

In the past I've advised the following creating another invoice with a note or special ID/number. You might try creating an invoice, numbering it CREDIT-1, and note what the credit is for inside the "notes" field.

This would keep a paper trail, and account for where the money went — but I'm assuming that's not what you want. It seems what you're asking for is a way to create a negative payment (which we don't currently support).

Can you elaborate on what you think would work best here?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Seth B on 30 Dec, 2013 11:52 PM

Additionally, is it possible to simply edit the original payment's amount, then note in that notes field you refunded the money?

I'm trying to determine the motivation here, and what you actually need for "record keeping".

3. 3 Posted by Stephanie Jones on 10 Dec, 2015 03:50 PM

I tried creating a credit invoice with a negative amount, but my client can never "pay it in full" despite my hitting the "mark paid in full button" so it kept showing up in my unpaid invoices section. Is there a way around this? I also tried to add a line item credit to the previous invoice but it wouldn't accept a negative amount. Any suggestions?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Seth B on 10 Dec, 2015 05:41 PM

Hi Stephanie,

If you enter a negative number in the “flat fee” box of a line item that will work.

Please try and get back to me. Thanks.

- Seth

5. 5 Posted by Stephanie Jones on 11 Dec, 2015 02:39 AM

Thanks - earlier I did that and it was acting like it wouldn’t take it (I kept getting a red box telling me there was an error) but later I pulled up the invoice to try again and saw that the changes did take. Thanks.

Stephanie Jones
    [email blocked]

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac